The Lupus Research Alliance (LRA) is the world’s leading non-governmental, non-profit funder of lupus research. Since its founding in 1999, the LRA has invested over $200 million in lupus research in more than 500 research and clinical studies. Over the past three years, the LRA’s Research Program has established strategic priorities and expanded from supporting just three grant mechanisms to actively driving 11 programs including bold collaborative and infrastructure initiatives engaging all stakeholders across academia, industry, government, and the lupus patient community.
This is an exciting professional opportunity to join a growing organization during its formative years and to help shape its essence and influence the lupus research landscape. Be part of a collegial, close-knit, and driven team passionate about LRA’s mission. Importantly, the candidate’s talents will be directed towards making a tangible impact on the lives of people living with lupus and, more broadly, other systemic autoimmune diseases.
Assist in planning and managing the Lupus Research Alliance’s research grants and collaborative projects. Help in determining program priorities and funding levels as well as track research progress of funded grants. Prepare analyses of research requirements and coordinate committees and programs. Liaise with scientists from academia, industry, and government agencies to drive LRA’s research mission. Understand the Organization, activities, operations, policies, and procedures to perform all duties.
- Plan and manage the review of grant applications. Prepare requests for applications, summary statements, monitor budgets, and assist in grant activations. Accountable for implementing the budgetary recommendations of the review committee.
- Communicate with researchers to provide information appropriate to the application and review process.
- Monitor and evaluate ongoing research grants, contracts, including establishment of guidelines for determining progress and impact of these programs. Assess progress reports and assist in evaluating program impact and determining program priorities.
- Manage collaborative projects between academia and industry.
- Assist LRA’s Communications Team in the preparation of the LRA research announcements by providing appropriate knowledge and information concerning the scientific content as well as the status of ongoing research in lupus funded by the LRA.
- Responsible for maintaining and improving the content on LRA’s research website.
- Support and maintain the vision, mission, priorities, and guiding principles of the LRA. Understand the strategic direction and purpose of the research department and conform to stated strategies and business needs, develop standard research procedures and maintain records to comply with regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that the confidentiality and security of all information under his/her supervision is maintained.
- Participate in meetings. Develop and deliver presentations as required and provide input and suggestions.
- Perform all other responsibilities and projects as assigned by the CSO.
Credentials & Qualifications:
- PhD, MD or equivalent professional degree such as DMD, DVM, etc. required.
- Postdoctoral research experience desirable but not necessary
- Expertise in immunology is strongly preferred
- Proficiency in developing scientific reports, presentations, and business correspondence
- Experience in administration and management of biomedical research programs desired
- Proficiency with various computer systems and databases including Microsoft Office.
Skills & Competencies:
Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate with scientific peers and the public
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, and capable of handling diverse assignments
- Effectively multi-task, establish priorities, and work in a fast-paced environment; highly efficient in time management and can meet deadlines under pressure
- Team player who can build excellent working relationships both internally and externally
- Superior active listening, observation, analytical, and problem recognition and solving skills.
To apply please email a cover letter, salary requirements and resume—in this order, in a single pdf file—to: HR@lupusresearch.org
No phone calls please.
For information about the Lupus Research Alliance please visit our website: www.lupusresearch.org.