Sponsored by the AAI Veterinary Immunology Committee
- Crystal L. Loving, USDA, ARS, Natl. Animal Dis. Ctr., AAI Veterinary Immunology Committee Chair
- Jodi McGill, Iowa State Univ. Coll. of Vet. Med.
- Ilhem Messaoudi, Univ. of California, Irvine, Mechanisms of filovirus disease pathogenesis and protection mediated by rVSV vaccination strategies
- James E. Crowe, Vanderbilt Univ. Med. Ctr., Paramyxovirus zoonotic viruses transmitting from bats to humans
- Cody Jay Warren, Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, Identification of a primate hemorrhagic fever virus fully competent for replication in human cells
- Juliet Morrison, Univ. of California, Riverside, Cellular drivers of recovery from influenza virus infection
The COVID-19 pandemic is an unfortunate example of the negative impacts of a novel, zoonotic virus on human health. Recurring filovirus outbreaks and emergence of novel zoonotic viruses from animal reservoirs continues to pose a threat to human health. Investigation into animal sources of novel viruses and the role of the immune system in protection against re-emerging pathogens are critical to preparedness when outbreaks occur. The symposia will highlight different zoonotic viruses and highlight key immune factors playing a role in either pathogenesis or protection.