Sponsored by the AAI Minority Affairs Committee
Generously supported by STEMCELL Technologies, Inc.
- Tonya J. Webb, Univ. of Maryland Sch. of Med.; AAI Minority Affairs Committee Chair
- Mireia Guerau-de-Arellano, The Ohio State Univ.
Networking skills have never been more crucial to ensure success for early/mid-career scientists, including those traditionally under-represented in biomedical research. At the session, take advantage of the opportunity to meet in small-group format with accomplished, senior immunologists and others to hear how they have handled the career challenges you now face and learn what they believe will work for you today. Then, practice networking in a relaxed environment offering a structured networking exercise and personalized feedback on communicating your scientific interests/objectives most effectively. Scientists and trainees of all backgrounds are encouraged to attend!
Discussion Topics and Table Leaders
Grad student: finding a mentor, setting sights on postdoc training
- Claudia V. Jakubzick, Dartmouth Geisel Sch. of Med.; Jose R. Conejo-Garcia, Moffitt Cancer Ctr.
- Luis A. Sanchez-Perez, Tune Therapeutics; Robert J. Binder, Univ. of Pittsburgh
Postdoc: finding a mentor, setting sights on a faculty position
- Mireia Guerau-de-Arellano, The Ohio State Univ.; De’Broski R. Herbert, Univ. of Pennsylvania Sch. of Vet. Med.
- C. Henrique Serezani, Vanderbilt Univ. Med. Ctr.; Prosper N. Boyaka, The Ohio State Univ.
Junior Faculty: preparing for promotion and tenure
- Harlan P. Jones, Univ. of North Texas Hlth. Sci. Ctr.; Elina Zúñiga, Univ. of California, San Diego
- Luis J. Montaner, Wistar Inst.; Adriana T. Larregina, Univ. of Pittsburgh
Academia or Industry: how to decide (or switch sides)
- Amina Abdul Qayum, Siolta Therapeutics; Jonathan P. Deane, Kumquat Biosciences
- Cherié L. Butts, Biogen; Louis E. Gonzalez, Shattuck Labs
- Frann Antignano, STEMCELL Technologies; Robert Balderas, BD Biosciences
Government Agency Careers
- Jennifer Martinez, NIEHS, NIH; Marta Catalfamo, Georgetown Univ. (formerly, NIH)
Non-Bench Research Science Careers
- Entrepreneurship and Grants implementation/compliance—Tonya J. Webb, Univ. of Maryland; WebbCures, IMMUNE 3D and Screen Therapeutics; Julio Aliberti, NIAID, NIH
- Nonprofits/Foundations—Aliyah M. Weinstein, Addgene; Derek Haseltine, Hertz Fdn.
- Science policy and Scientific publishing—Lauren G. Gross, Director of Public Policy and Government Affairs, AAI; Nicole Beauchamp, Science Associate, AAI