Sponsored by the AAI Education Committee & AAI Committee on the Status of Women
Generously supported by the Allen Institute for Immunology
- Laura A. Solt, Scripps Res., AAI Committee on the Status of Women Chair
- Dorina Avram, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Ctr. and Res. Inst.
- Joan M. Goverman, Univ. of Washington, Overcoming self-doubt and becoming a confident scientist
At this popular session, attendees will have the opportunity to meet with experienced scientists to explore specific career issues important to today’s scientists. Gain insights into issues you are confronting in your own career. Topics include international opportunities in science, succeeding in graduate school, tips on grant writing, considerations for scientists in M.D.-Ph.D. careers, and exciting careers beyond the bench. New to the 2021 session are topics on building productive mentor/mentee relationships, overcoming self-doubt, and tackling gender biases in recruitment, research, and leadership. Other topics will include navigating work-life issues, such as balancing careers with family and transitioning from specific career stages, which may be relevant to any work environment (academic research, biotech industry, governmental agencies, non-profit). Don’t miss this great opportunity!
New PI (mentoring effectively, recruiting students and postdocs, preparing for promotion, tips for balancing teaching and research)
- Shari Pilon-Thomas, Moffitt Cancer Ctr.; Irene Salinas, Univ. of New Mexico
- Keke Fairfax, Univ. of Utah; Melissa Brown, Northwestern Univ. Feinberg Sch. of Med.
Succeeding in Graduate School
- Laura Solt, Scripps Reseacrh Institute; Katherine Buckley, Auburn University
Graduate Student to Postdoc
- Natalie Steinel, Univ. of Massachusetts, Lowell; Ann Griffith, Univ. of Texas Hlth., San Antonio
- Evelien Bunnik, Univ. of Texas Hlth., San Antonio; Lisa Denzin, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Med. Sch.
Postdoc to PI
- Paulo Rodriguez, Moffitt Cancer Ctr.; Juliet Morrison, Univ. of California, Riverside
- Guangming Zhong, Univ. of Texas Hlth., San Antonio; Justin Milner, Univ. of Northa Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Kate MacNamara, Albany Med. Col.; Daniela Gomez-Atria, Univ. of Pennsylvania
Building Networking Skills
- Meera Nair, Univ. of California, Riverside; Yina Huang, Geisel Sch. of Med. at Dartmouth
Biotech and Industry
- Theodore Drashanky, Merck; Sadiye Rieder, Horizon Therapeutics
- Divya Sagar, Loxo Onc at Lilly; Annie Lau-Kilby, Horizon Therapeutics
- Frann Antignano, StemCell Technologies; Kerry Casey, Regeneron
- Lisa Caproni, Touchlight Genetics; Tamara Reyes Robles, Merck Research Laboratories
- Isis Kanevsky, Pfizer; Ingrid Scully, Pfizer
- Louis Gonzalez, Shattuck Labs; Laura Walker, Adimab; Lynn Becker, The Allen Inst.
Overcoming Self-Doubt and Becoming a Confident Scientist
- Sarah Gaffen, Univ. of Pittsburg; Joan Goverman, Univ. of Washington
Tackling Gender Biases in Recruitment, Research, and Leadership
- Dorina Avram, Moffitt Cancer Ctr.; Ilhem Messaoudi, Univ. of California, Irvine
Careers in Government Agencies
- Deborah Hodge, NIH/CSR; Swinburne (Jason) Augustine, EPA
- Liang Zhou, Univ. of Florida; Catarina Sacristan, Trends in Immunology
Opportunities for Scientists in Non-profits/Foundations & Careers in Science Policy
- Aliyah Weinstein, Addgene; Troy Torgerson, The Allen Inst.
Grant Writing for PIs
- Jose Conejo-Garcia, Moffitt Cancer Ctr.; Melissa Lodoen, Univ. of California, Irvine
Research from M.D., Ph.D. Perspective/The Physician Scientist
- Tyler Curiel, Univ. of Texas Hlth., San Antonio; Megan Cooper, Washington Univ., St. Louis
- JoAnne Flynn, Univ. of Pittsburgh; Lubka Roumenina, Cordeliers Res. Ctr.
- Judith Mandl, McGill Univ.; Carlos Acevedo-Suarez, Univ. of Puerto Rico